My Big Sister

Sisters
2017

Sisters aren't always alike. Tracy and I are no exception. We grew up liking different things. She liked her Barbie dolls and books, and I liked climbing trees and making forts out of chairs and blankets on the front lawn. I liked playing in the gutter after a big rain storm making dams and floating twigs. Tad poles, water and mud were right up there with climbing trees. I was a tomboy and my sister wasn't. Tracy loved sugar and spice every thing nice. As hard as my mother tried to make me behave like a 'girl', I know drove her crazy with my tomboyish actions.

Tracy and I at our Aunt Faye's. Early 1960's

Our mama and us. Mid - 1960's

One thing Tracy and I did have in common while we were kids was 4-H. Our parents enrolled us in 4-H when we were old enough to join. If you aren't familiar with 4-H it basically teaches life skills. The four H's stand for head, heart, hands and health. It was in 4-H where we learned how to set goals and accomplish those goals. It taught us discipline and responsibility, citizenship and communication. And it taught us cooking and food safety, planning and making meals, along with so many other important life skills.

When Tracy and I were in 4-H we entered our baked goods into the county fair. There would be many a trial and error with our baking skills. I don't know how many muffins and biscuits and quick breads we made. We would look forward to seeing what colored ribbon we would receive for our efforts. I remember when she won a purple ribbon for her Double-Quick Coffee Cake. How exciting and rewarding that was for her. It was a recipe right out of the Betty Crocker Junior Cookbook.  As years went by she became quite the seamstress and I became the baker.

Maybe 4-H was where I got hooked on cooking and baking??

I haven't made this coffee bread for many years so I decided I would try making it again to see what it was that made it a Purple Ribbon winner. It did not disappoint. This soft buttery coffee bread has a delicious tender crumb with it's buttery cinnamon pecan streusel topping makes it perfect for a Sunday morning brunch.

Even  though it is called a Double-quick coffee bread, this yeast type coffee bread will have to rise for about an hour before popping it into the oven....but it is well worth the wait. Serve the bread warm with a pat of butter on top and a cup of coffee. Yum!  Just talking about this delicious coffee bread makes me want to get into the kitchen and make it again. It is a real easy recipe. I hope you give it a try.

Here is the recipe for this Double-Quick Coffee Bread

Original recipe

Double Quick Coffee Bread

Many years have passed since my sister and I were those young girls learning how to make our way into this world of ours. Even though she and I have taken different paths, we are still are sisters connected by our hearts. She can still make me laugh like only a sister can.
My sister and I
1990's
Tracy and I
2018

Sister share a special bond. They know all the good and bad but love you anyway. Sisters are little bit of childhood that can never be lost.

Comments