Top 5 Ways to Be a Best Friend




When I had the idea to write a post for February and Valentine's Day, I thought about writing about my best friend and our friendship.  Sure, there are many stories out there about love and kisses and  Valentine wishes but I think best friends are important 'loves' in our lives, and I would like to tell you about mine. 

Let me introduce you to my best friend, Roxie. 

Roxie and I (2017)


How did she and I become best friends? What exactly makes a best friend? 
Let me tell you a bit about Roxie. 

We have known one another since kindergarten. We went to the same grade school, junior high and high school together, and we were in Brownies together. 

Roxie on the back row, far left. Me, back row, center. 

In our freshman year in junior high school we were in the same group of 5 friends. We all stayed friends through high school. Other friends would become a part of the group, for a season, then they would move on but we 5 remained tight ...... until boyfriends came into the picture. Ha!

I remember well when the five us went to Gibson's retail store to get our picture taken. Little did I know at the time that this picture would hold so many great memories. Makes me wish to go back and live it one more time. 

We FIVE amigos. 1972

I can't remember a time when Roxie and I weren't friends, although it wasn't until after high school that we became best friends.  We both married really young.  Both of us were just 18 years old, babes just out of high school. We spent so much time together those first years of being new wives and then mothers. We drank gallons of iced tea and ate peanut butter toast for our snacks while we laughed and cried and talked about life, God, kids, husbands. We talked about everything. And if we weren't together, we were on the phone talking. 

Even though I have lost contact with the other gals in our group from high school my friendship with Roxie remains constant. She is one of those friends who has always been there. The miles that lie between us now haven't changed our friendship. It is so easy for us to pick up right where we left off even if it has been months since we have seen one another or spoken on the phone. 

Roxie has always been a source of joy for me.  So I came up with a list of why she is my best friend. To me, she has been all these ways of being a best friend.


5 Ways to be a Best Friend

1) Be emotionally supportive without being critical or judgmental.

2) Listen thoughtfully and truly hear what is being said. 

3) Truly care about their well-being.

4) See the best in her/him.

5) Always make them feel welcomed. 


And if I can add one more, tell your friend that you love them.  My advice is to always tell those you love that you love them. No one ever gets tired of hearing someone tell them that they love them.

When it comes to best friends they are thoughtful and do things for one another that others don't think of. They have the ability to hear what you are truly saying which is one of the best parts of a friendship. They can laugh out loud and act silly around one another and not worry about condemnation.  Roxie is one of those people who accepts me as I am and is truly is my best friend.





So to celebrate my friendship with Roxie, I would like to share what I call her signature cake. 


 (Note: I did make a couple of additions to the recipe. I added one teaspoon each of almond extract and vanilla extract.)

It is her cake that was featured in the Sweetheart Cookbook that was put out by our local newspaper back in 1971. I still have the original newspaper cookbook.  Do you remember when local newspapers putting out community cookbooks from local cooks? 

Roxie and her signature cake

Yesterday morning I whipped up this cake so I could show you what it looks like in color.  Since I didn't have but one heart shaped cake pan, a round cake would have to do. Isn't this a pretty cake?



Maraschino Cherry Nut Cake





This cake kind of reminds me of the cherry nut ice cream my mama used to make during the summer. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it would be perfect. 


Maybe you have a best friend like Roxie. I hope so. Celebrate your best friend today! 

"A memory lasts forever
never does it die...
True friends stay together
never do they say goodbye. "


Comments

  1. What an awesome tribute to a beautiful friend! Loved it! Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment