My family's secret recipe....almost

Hello there!
Thanksgiving is upon us. For some of us it is a bittersweet time especially for those of us who have lost loved ones. I lost my daddy in 2009. He passed away just a few days before Thanksgiving. My husband and I had spent the weekend before that Thanksgiving visiting my dad in Kansas. He was in a nursing home at the time as he had fallen and broken his hip several months prior. After the surgery he was in the nursing home for rehabilitation. Unfortunately, while in the nursing home he fell again, and re-injured the same hip. He had another surgery but it was too much for him to recover from.

I remember telling him goodbye that Sunday before Thanksgiving, I told him, "I'll see you for
My mama and daddy 1970's
Thanksgiving".  The next day I got a phone call from the nurse. She said my dad was getting close to the end. I was able to talk to him one last time and tell him that I loved him and to go with Jesus.
He was 90 years old. He had lived a good long life, and he was the best daddy this girl could ever have. I miss him and my mom every Thanksgiving but I'm thankful for all the years I had with them.

As I now turn my thoughts to the Thanksgiving menu, I'm curious about what dish your family considers to be a 'must have' on your menu?
In our house the 'must have' menu item is butterhorn rolls. Yes, the same rolls my mother-in-law used to make from her 'secret' recipe. The same recipe she trusted me with years ago. The same recipe I have used and cherished for over 40 years.

One year, I made the mistake of making regular dinner rolls. Boy, did I hear about it. Never again will I make regular ol' dinner rolls for Thanksgiving or any holiday meal. To keep me on my toes my oldest son will ask every single time "did you make rolls"? And he doesn't mean any ol' dinner roll either. He means butterhorn rolls.
Butterhorn rolls

As a rule, I don't make the rolls ahead of time. I admit it can make it hectic in the kitchen making rolls at the same time I am preparing the rest of the meal. But you know what? It's worth it. Seeing my kids, husband and grandkids snatch a roll or two right off the pan straight from the oven makes me smile. I know there is nothing quite like a fresh baked butterhorn roll.

I must to tell you,  before I started this post, I wanted to get permission from my mother-in-law to share her butterhorn roll recipe.  So, I called and asked mom if she would mind if I included HER recipe in this blog post. She said, and I quote "It's in the Better Homes and Garden cookbook, so they won't mind." What??!
All these years I was under the impression that this was a family 'secret' recipe. I'm crushed, just a little bit. She did mention that she changed one ingredient in the recipe, she used butter instead of oleo, so maybe it really is HER recipe. And now it is yours.

The original recipe



Butterhorn Roll recipe







This Thanksgiving what are you most thankful for? For me, I am thankful for the family and friends the Lord has blessed me with all through my life. I am also thankful for you my reader for taking the time to read this blog of mine. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Comments