Cinnamon Sticky Buns






Hello. I'm glad to see you again. If you have been following me, I'm sure you remember me mentioning in my last post about my mama's cinnamon rolls where she made them using the Perfect White Bread recipe? A favorite cinnamon roll she liked to make is known by many as, Sticky Buns. It was the first recipe I used to make my own cinnamon sticky buns.

Even now I can see her standing at the counter in that small kitchen of the home I grew up in. Kneading and rolling out the dough, slathering butter over the dough, then sprinkling it with sugar and cinnamon, carefully placing each roll into the round cake pans that had been prepared with brown sugar, maple syrup and pecans. The sweet smell of cinnamon and bread filled the house. It was a good childhood.

(I wish I had a picture of my mama in that kitchen but here is one of her when she was a young beauty.)

My first home as a wife consisted of a small kitchen much like the one I grew up with. A kitchen just big enough for the kitchen table and chairs. There was no formal dining room. Just a compact little house with 4 small rooms. Big enough for newlyweds. :)

Our little 'love shack', as we have come to refer to it as, was where I began to test my skills as baker. Being the first in our group of friends to get married, our house became the place to 'hang out', so there were  many friends that I turned into my 'taste testers'.

When I first attempted to make Sticky Buns using my mama's recipe, they didn't seem to come out right. My husband would tell me I needed more practice, so practice I did.

It has been a while since I have made Sticky Buns. So yesterday morning I thought it was time to try my hand at them again. This time I opted to use a recipe I found online and forgo my mother's method. Over time I have come to understand the importance of adding eggs to a sweet roll dough, so I found a recipe that included eggs. Eggs make a richer, moister and a more flavorful bread.

This time my only taste tester was my husband. After devouring two sticky buns, he said to me with a wink, "needs more practice".  But it means something different than it did in the early years. When he says this to me now, it means the recipe is a keeper.











Here we are on our first wedding
anniversary in our first home.


Follow this link to the recipe that I used to make these delicious Sticky Buns.
Cinnamon Sticky Buns

"The measure of achievement is not winning awards. It is doing something that you appreciate, something you believe is worthwhile."  ~ Julia Child







Comments